Not. But in 5 years I will be.
I am so pleasantly surprised at how much responsibility I get at work. Both companies really take my opinions into consideration when considering taking on a project. I feel so powerful knowing that if I think a script is crap, which they often are, the executives don't even look at it. But it's not like if i think a script is good, they immediatley pitch it to a studio and start casting. No no. But it at least gets a second read.
Becuase of my "power" some aspiring writers have been sucking up to me. It's kind of funny. Yes, the execs don't look at a script unless I like it, but if I don't like it, I'm not passing it on. It doesn't matter how much I like you. If your script sucks, its' not seeing the light of day at this company. Is that mean?
This job is hard. I haven't had a full time job before, and I'm quickly learning how exhausting it is. I calculated my work hours I work a week, including my commute, and it's 60 hours. And I often have to bring work home with me and I have homework. It takes me 1 hr and 15 minutes to get to one office, and 40 minutes to get to the other. I collapse on the weekends. My friends here are calling me "grandma" because I'll leave a party at 10 so I can go to bed. What can I say? I'm tired!
I run alot of errands. Alot of errands. I don't really mind, and it's nice to get out of the office. Sometimes tasks are not so glamorous, like "take my dogs to my house" and "take my dog for a walk" and "go pick up my medicine." But sometimes they are really cool, like "go deliver this script to this director." Or "go deliver this document to the writer of ________ "(I can't say but it was a good movie). This one place I went was right in this really fancy office building. My car got checked by a security guard before they would let me in a garage, and once I got in the building, I had to go to another security guard to get a key that would make the elevator go up. But he wouldn't give it to me until he called the place I was going and confirmed they were expecting me. It was a production.
It's the weirdest thing. I have never felt so comfortable so fast in a city before. There was never an adjustment period or a time when I was scared to be in a new city. I got here, and I immediately felt at home and like I had lived here forever. It's safe to say I love it here and am excited to settle down here and live here pernamently once I graduate college in August.
Even though this job is exhausting and stressful and demeaning at times, I love every single second of it. This is such a hard, wonderful, rough, and stressful experience. And the weird thing is I love every bit of it!! This is such hard work, but I love it!! I have learned that I like working in an office, and all that I talk about is movies and TV. Seriously. I don't remember the last conversation I had that wasn't about this business. I get really sick of talking about it at times, but that's usually at the end of a ten hour work day. Understandable. But then I go home and talk to my roommate about her day and we talk more about the business, and then my friends ask me about the business and how my jobs are going, and before I know it, I'm blue in the face because I've said the word "script" 20 times in one minute.
Tomorrow I'm leaving for Utah to go to my dear friend Stephanie's wedding. I'm super excited!! I can't wait to snuggle with my nephew, hang with my sisters, and be around good friends. And the best part is I only had to work 3 days this week! Thank you Stephanie for getting married and letting me come to your wedding! This break is very much welcomed!
Lauren out.
You are so awesome Lu! Big job, big city, big responsibilities, big confidence - I love it! Wish they would let me get on a plane with this giant baby belly so I could come visit you there and see your new world, but, alas, I don't think anyone would let me... =( Love you!
ReplyDelete