Friday, September 2, 2011

Getting Into the Swing of Things

Hello all!  I have been in LA for two weeks now and am loving it.  It's been a much easier adjustment to living and working here than I thought it would be. 
Blog posts that have no pictures are boring, so here are some for your enjoyment that have nothing to do with what I'm about to say. 








Pretty pictures. I think I said this before, but I can't say where I'm working or who I'm working for because I really don't want anyone at either company to find this blog.  That would be really unprofessional and just not good.
The word intern, when translated in the entertainment world, means slave. My duties at both internships include washing dishes in the kitchen, going to the post office, driving to executives houses to pick up their mail or take their dogs home, and reading ALOT of scripts.  At one internship, my main job is to bring papers from the printer to the proper execuitve.  That's the only time I get to talk to the execs.  It's very exciting.  I also get to bind alot of scripts and do coverage.  Script coverage is when you read a script or book and give comments and tell the executives if they should consider buying it and making it into a movie.  Last week, I was given a book to cover, and it was 600 pages.  It took so long to do and was so stressful because the coverage was for the president of the company, the one who the company is named after.  Big deal. I really wanted to do a good job because it was the only chance I had to let him know who I am. I hadn't even met the guy yet. 
At my other internship, the other interns were asking me where I was from, and I told them I was from a small town in Southern Utah.  I told them there was lots of red rocks and it was in the desert and two hours away from Vegas.  They deicded to Google it.  When they found out the population was 72,000, they said that's not a small town, that's a city.  I guess it's true.  It just doesn't feel that big when you grow up there.  It was fun to tell people where I'm from and was really nice of them to care enough to Google it. 
I was in the kitchen doing dishes when the head of Drama Development for Television walked in.  I was trying to be polite and professional, so I said "Hello Mr. _____ how are you today?" He responded with "Oh, my, you don't need to call me that." I said "What, I can call you ___ (first name)?" He said "Yes! If you called me Mr. _____, I wouldn't even know you were talking to me. Are you southern? Southerners are so polite." I said "No, I'm from Utah. I guess we're polite people too." He said "Oh ya, I know some people from Utah and you guys are really nice." What a nice fellow.  First name basis with the executive producer of Desperate Housewives? Awesome.
We have a binder filled with unaired pilots of 2011, that are premiering at the end of this month, so when I'm not doing anything, I get to watch them.  I'm excited about some of the new shows premiering. A few are really different and I think will do really well.  My work did 10,000 BC and Source Code so the other day I was reading the budget breakdowns for 10,000 BC and the script for Source Code.  I also got to read some scripts written by two Oscar winners.  One was a pilot, the other was a film.  It was so cool and I can't wait to see these amazing writers' works be made.  Sorry I have to be vague, but I had to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Terrance Howard came into the office for a meeting. Since this is LA, I thought that when famous people came into the office, no one would really notice because they're used to it.  But I was so glad that everyone else in the office was freaking out as much as me  So we took turns pretending to go to the kitchen so we could casually walk by him.  When I approached him, I smiled and he politely nodded.  It was magical.  Later, the exec told some of the interns to straighten the movie posters in the lobby.  I wasn't there for this, but as the interns were doing so, Terrance walked up to them, stood there for a second, then said "Man, I think ya'll be trippin'."  Darn, I wish I was there for that!!
A few days later, Minnie Driver came into the office.  I was sitting in the intern room when a fellow intern came in and said "shorty short shorts is here." I said "Who's that?" He said "Minnie Driver." Out of my chair I was and into the lobby I went.  She was sitting there all famous like, wearing a romper, hence the short shorts, and her hair was all crimped and pretty.  She's prettier in real life I think. 
The next day, I was sitting with an assistant at her desk doing expense reports when Frank Darabont walked in.  He is the writer/director of Shawshank Redemption and the writer of Green Mile. AKA, he's been nominated for three Oscars.  And he created the Walking Dead TV series.  I got him a water.  Which he did not drink.  It was cool. 
Everyone is really nice and I'm making friends with alot of the other interns.  But this is hard work.  Before I came, I was prepared to have exhaustation be my best friend and stress be my constant companion.  I was right.  I think I'll buy them best friend necklaces.  I have 10 hour work days, it takes me an hour each way to get to work and back due to traffic, and I have homework and class for my program that I'm in with my school.  But being an intern is a right of passage.  You literally cannot be a producer in LA without being an intern first.  I'm trying so hard to be the most awesome slave they're ever had.  Because by golly, by the time I leave, all the execs will know my name and will think I'm the great.  References! That's the goal.  Right now, most of them don't even know I exist.
That's all for now my friends. 
P.S. The printer at work is the size of my bed.  Literally. 

2 comments:

  1. Keep the posts coming Lauren! I hope you have the energy to keep up with so much! It sounds surreal and wonderful! Good luck to you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part of that post was the PS. Your jobs sound so busy, but like you said, they are a right of passage - you'll get through them with flying colors. I just know it!

    ReplyDelete