Saturday, November 19, 2011

Goodbye Los Angeles

At the risk of sounding cheesy, this has been the best experience of my life.  The more I learn about this industry, the more I love it and the more I want to work in it.  The more I learn about television, the more I want to work in it.  The more I learn about comedy, the more I want to work in it.  You never know until you try something, and after trying this and living and working in LA, it's confirmed.  I will live here the rest of my life and I will work in this business.  Before I came, I knew this would be a gamble.  This would either be the worst experience or the best experience.  I knew I might realize this isn't for me or I might love it even more.  I'm so happy to know what career I want and to have goals.

Writing a script has been a surreal experience for me.  I wrote a Modern Family script and have showed it to alot of people at work and to my fellow interns and it has gotten really really good responses.  It has made it's way to the owner of one of the companies I work for and I'm really excited about it.  It's been very strange.  When someone talks to me about my script or an executive says "come in my office, let's talk about your script" I wanna say 'What? I wrote a script?  Really? No.  I couldn't do that.  That doesn't sound like me.'  Or when I read the emails the owner sent to his co-owner of the company saying "our intern wrote this,  and I know you watch this show, you should read it" I think, 'who are they talking about? What intern? Oh.  Right.  That's me.'  When I'm reading my script, I think 'who wrote this? Oh yeah.  I did.  What?  Really?  Are you sure?'  It just feels very surreal. 

Things I will miss:
  • The owner of the company walking through the office at the end of the day on Fridays saying "what are you still doing here? It's the weekend; get out of here!" 
  • Talking to the producer of Desperate Housewives in the elevator about his current projects.
  • Watching the owner of the company walking  up and down the hall on his bluetooth talking on the phone cause he didn't want to be sitting anymore.  It always looked like he was talking to himself.
  • Bonding with the owner of the company as I would pick him up at his house and drive him to work because he didn't have his car because he was too drunk the night before the drive home.  That was such a good opportunity because now he likes me and knows me and on my last day he told me to let him know when I move back and he'll make whatever calls I need and help get me a job. That is priceless.
  • My friends.  I made such good friends here! They are such amazing people and I am so grateful that I met them.  They have helped me and changed me more than they will ever know.  I love them and will miss them so much!
  • This city.  I love LA.  I don't care what anybody says about it, I love this town.  The traffic didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.  I love the skyscrapers, I love the culture, I love that it's always warm, I love it has beaches, and most of all, I love that it's the entertainment capital of the world.
  • Working in the entertainment capital of the world.  I love how close I was to what I see on film and TV everyday.  I got to read some amazing scripts that will come to theatres soon and get a peek at new shows.  I'll miss being part of creating entertainment that reaches people all over the world.  Everything is done on such a big scale here and I will really miss that.
Despite all of this, I am really looking forward to being near my family again.  This is kind of pathetic, but this is the longest I've gone without seeing my family, and I've only been gone for 13 weeks!  I miss them so much and can't wait to be closer to them! Especially my nephew; I can't wait to be only 20 minutes away from him.  And I get to meet my new nephew on Tuesday!! I can't wait!

I'll miss this place.  But I'll be back in August.  Peace out Los Angeles, I'll miss you!!

1 comment:

  1. We're so glad that you got to have this experience. You have learned an unbelievable amount and have made tons of new friends. I know you'll never forget your time there. We're sure going to be glad to have you back though. We've missed you so much! M & D

    ReplyDelete